Wednesday 6 May 2009

Grin and Bear it.

Like the muppet i am, after staying up all night watching the wire and the shield, I forgot to attach my mudguard to my bike. I knew it was going to rain, cos I could smell it. (All good cyclists can smell rain, a bit like farmers.) I had that familiar tang of ozone on my tongue so I knew that I was in for some prolonged drizzle. i had also foolishly opted for the cut off jeans, so before long my bum was a bit wet. blue jeans tend to show everyone else that your bum is a bit wet, so it was necessary to come home and change. (though the mudguard is still lying around.)

This is a regular thing. I have an aversion to waterproof clothing because:

1) I remember the great sprayway/naff naff debate of the early nineties and still have no wish to take sides.

2) Its noisy

3) I am a bit of a masochist

The third point is the relevant one. I actually like being a bit wet. madness, I know, but I wear my soggy jeans as a status symbol. They are a point of pride, as if to say; 'yes, my arse is numb, but I'm so tough I don't care.' I'm not saying waterproofs are for wimps, I'm saying that cycling toughens you up, so eventually you won't need to spend sixty quid on a pair of overtrousers and you can put the money to better use at the bar. Incidentally, I actually bought a pair of overtrousers for days when I'm feeling a bit soft. I paid £20, plus £2 for a pair of bicycle clips. I put the £38 I saved to very good use...

(It must be noted that, although I have bought overtrousers, I have only wore them once. My credability is safe.)

No comments: